Hubie Halloween Is A Treat Not A Trick


Hubie Halloween
2020 | PG-13 | 1 Hour 42 Minutes | Comedy | Happy Madison

Director: 
Steven Brill 
Writers: 
Tim Herlihy, Adam Sandler

Stars: 
Adam Sandler
Kevin James
Julie Bowen

Synopsis:
Good-natured but eccentric community volunteer Hubie Dubois finds himself at the center of a real murder case on Halloween night. Despite his devotion to his hometown of Salem, Massachusetts (and its legendary Halloween celebration), Hubie is a figure of mockery for kids and adults alike.

Lessons Learned 


A few weeks back I posted the trailer for Hubie and thought ugh this looks so bad, yet most of the comments were pretty upbeat. I'm here to say I was wrong and I'm sorry Hubie Halloween was pure joy and none stop fun! Now I will say I groaned a bit when Adam Sandler starting talking in voice for his charter and thought to myself oh no here we go. Thankfully that would quickly fade as the story began to unfold. And to be completely honest its the star power of its young cast that draws you in not the Happy Madison gang. 


Hubie


Hubie himself had a nice charm to him this poor man was both obsessed with and terrified by Halloween. He also plays the local snitch, acting as an amateur cop and alerting the authorities to every tiny infraction, which they find unbearable. “Hubie” is, to some extent, a satire of horror films, as for Sandler, like him or not, his dumb schtick is disarmingly quiet and warm throughout the movie. Sadly his best jokes really do not have much to do with Halloween and that is ok.

Bonner


Every Holiday season I start to think of my mom and how much she would do for everybody to make the holidays incredible. Then walks in the wonderful June Squibb who plays Hubies mom, whom he still lives with, and in every scene, she unknowingly wears an inappropriate secondhand T-shirt that becomes some of the best gags like “Boner Killer” as the movie plays on. This was so my mom always happy and would wear or say things like this and even she did not understand. Squibb warmed my heart every time she lite up the screen man I loved this woman!

A New Tradition


Sandler has had a rough go with critics, often for good reason. But “Hubie Halloween” proves that the problem isn’t that he’s starring in stupid movies; it’s that he’s not starring in enough of the right stupid movies. It's safe to say Hubie Halloween will be watched yearly here in the Man Cave! Maybe I'm over-hyping a little bit but man we all loved this movie.





Oh, and speaking of those Disney stars it was a sweet touch that this movie was dedicated to Cameron Boyce. Boyce was going to appear in the movie before his untimely death on July 6, 2019. He would have reunited with his former co-stars Peyton List and Karan Brar from Disney Channel's Jessie (One show I can tolerate) as well as his former co-stars from Grown Ups and Grown Ups 2. 


Definitely give this one a shot and by all means, you need to check out AEIOU...And sometimes Why? blog post as he shared images from the set, as this was filmed in his neck of the woods. 

So have you been going Door to Door this Halloween Countdown? Make sure to click the button below for a long list of treat givers.










11 comments:

  1. I watched it yesterday and it was funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure helped with getting into the Halloween spirit.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you're giving it a thumbs up! I will probably watch it now, since there's so few things to bring us joy this Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While there were some crude (admittedly funny) moments, I did enjoy the movie overall. They probably could have left 10 minutes on the cutting room floor and kids could have watched too. I had to laugh at his mom's shirts because that actually happened to my sister-in-law. Her mother bought her a t-shirt at a thrift store not understanding what the saying on the front meant. I give it high marks for being steeped in a traditional Halloween feel, given all the scenes outside at night, in cornfields, haunted houses, etc. Sometimes it's nice just to watch something and enjoy it for what is -- an hour and half of mindless fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I can not disagree I watched with my 12 year old and wondered at times what kind of questions I was going to get. Mindless fun is a good way to put it.

      Delete
    2. That's what I thought too. My daughter is 7 and loves Halloween movies but I'm glad my wife and I watched this one by ourselves as it wasn't appropriate for her. Definitely enjoyed it, though. I'm not sure I've seen an Adam Sandler movie since Big daddy but I loved Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, and the Waterboy as a kid and this one had some great references to those films.

      Delete
  4. The Halloween aesthetic is the best part, even if the story is a little slap-dash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the shout out! Several times during the movie I did find myself wondering what age group this is for. It's definitely got some of that Ernest level stupid/funny but there's also some more adult humor and it's not subtle enough to go over but the youngest heads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little surprised by your letterboxd score, it's been a week and I just might watch it again. Maybe during the COVID I just needed that silly humor.

      Delete