The king arrives

Godzilla
2014 | Color | 123 Minutes | 2.35.1 | PG-13 | Action | DTS | Warner Brothers


Director: Gareth Edwards

Writers: Max Borenstein

Stars:
Aaron Taylor-Johnson
Elizabeth Olsen
Bryan Cranston

In 1999, the Janjira nuclear plant was mysteriously destroyed with most hands lost including supervisor Joe Brody's colleague and wife, Sandra. Years later, Joe's son, Ford, a US Navy ordnance disposal officer, must go to Japan to help his estranged father who obsessively searches for the truth of the incident. In doing so, father and son discover the disaster's secret cause on the wreck's very grounds. This enables them to witness the reawakening of a terrible threat to all of Humanity, which is made all the worse with a second secret revival elsewhere. Against this cataclysm, the only hope for the world may be Godzilla, but the challenge for the King of the Monsters will be great even as Humanity struggles to understand the destructive ally they have.

Face off against the Muto


I have said it once and I will say it again Godzilla was the first film I watched hosted by Svengoolie (Gerry G Bishop back in the 70's) with my mother. I remember it being one of those super hot summer days that you could not do much outside in the heat. They seemed to have run many of those Godzilla movies in the coming years because I was hooked and could not get enough of them. Now I'm not one of those super fans or anything like that but I would like to go and visit G-Fest one of these days in Chicago.

Godzilla is the first truly joyous popcorn action movie I have seen this week so far. I did not want to get up in fear of missing something, I kept forgetting I could pause the movie. Sure Godzilla was not the star of his own movie and it works for me. He is a bit player that stands out and is almost as good looking as Elizabeth Olsen.

So many people out there bashed this movie for many things including to say this was not much better than the 1998 flick. I say they are wrong! Godzilla did not lose his touch in this movie at all.What you don't like that he is the HERO? So you did not watch all fan-beloved, kid-friendly G films? What is wrong with you Godzilla is a Hero! And this feels like a disaster movie... well yeah that is what makes Godzilla movies fun to watch the way he and his battle mate don't care what town they are destroying while the duke it out.

60 years after his first big screen appearance Godzilla 2014 nailed it. I can't wait for the day we see him take on King Kong or Mecha Godzilla on the big screen. I will not wait for this to hit the home theater and I will stop listing to my friends who obviously don't get it. If you're a fan of giant monsters you will like this movie if not it might come off as a snooze fest at times. But give yourself a chance to warm up to the big guy you might find yourself cheering on this lug of a lizard.

4 1/2 Bloody Brains out of 5


1 comment:

  1. Awesome... my info told that it would be longer till its release date....
    ( Note: the original "Roar" was made from a recording of the heavy iron front gate of Toho Studios , creaking as it opened)

    ReplyDelete