Benchwarmers 2 Yes This Is A Thing!

Benchwarmers 2 Breaking Balls
2019 | PG | 1 Hr 31 Min | Comedy | Universal


Director: Jonathan A. Rosenbaum

Writer: Stephen Mazur

Stars:
Chris Klein
Jon Lovitz
Chelsey Reist



Synopsis:
A washed-up baseball player becomes an attorney. He gets a chance at redemption when his boss asks him to manage the company softball team in hopes of winning a championship.

  

Why So Much Hate?

So maybe its the fact that it is 45 to 50 degrees here in Illinois during January or maybe its how my beloved White Sox are doing damage this offseason or maybe just maybe it's my love for baseball that has me setting in to watch Breaking Balls. Like most of you, I had no clue that 2006 flick Benchwarmers was getting a second chance. Admittedly I wondered why myself (Hated Benchwarmers) but pressed play and off we went. Yes, we start off with grade school humor with Chris Klein's career coming to an end after being hit it the family jewels ending his chance in the big leagues. Our hero's life goes to crap as he loses his trophy wife (Lisa Durupt) and is left to mow lawns in his small town. On the other hand, he is secretly taking online classes to become a lawyer. After a few failed job attempts Jon Lovitz enters the story. Lovitz is the only returning charter for the first and this is where the story turns itself around. 


The Good The Bad And the Why?

This movie looks good and what I mean by that is every shot was done right and clean. With a nice blend of lighting and angles, we are rewarded with a smooth looking story. This was not thrown together overnight. And it's no surprise director Jonathan Rosenbaum has made a career through Disney Shows like ANT Farm, Austin and Aly, and one of my popular post's The Prince of Peoria so clearly, he understands framing scenes. And if Klien is not enough we are treated to the adorable Chelsey Reist who plays the straightlaced lawyer slash love interest. She brings a nice energy to the screen along with a girl next door style. The only bad I can come up with other than the silly grade school humor we did not get the 80s inspired team coming together montage before the big game. Look Benchwarmers 2 is a Hallmark movie if they made bad comedies. You're not going to get something that blows you away and YES it is 100% predictable yet the story did not get in the way of my enjoyment. This movie has a heart there I said it. 


Why not give it a go?

I really enjoyed the story that Benchwarms tries to tell Klien has his ups and downs in his role but overall the cast is there for him leading the way. I wish it would have focused just a little bit more on the baseball aspect and less lawyer story and maybe a tad more backstory allowing our stars to fall in love. With that said Benchwarms is just a time killer that you will like it or not and for this guy I liked it...a lot!

3 Stars out of 5


I might be alone on this one as Rotten Tomatoes has it at 20% and on Letterboxd 80% of the reviews are half a star to one star. I'm one of eight on Letterboxd to give this one 3 1/2 or higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment