A Wimp will rise

Diary Of A Wimpy Kid The Long Haul
2017 | Color | 1 Hr 31 Min | Family | PG | 20th Century Fox

Director: David Bowers

Writers:
Jeff Kinney
David Bowers
Stars: 
Jason Drucker
Alicia Silverstone
Tom Everett Scott

A Heffley family road trip to attend Meemaw's 90th birthday party goes hilariously off course thanks to Greg's newest scheme to get to a video gaming convention. This family cross-country adventure turns into an experience the Heffleys will never forget.


As a parent, there is nothing more gratifying than a good book that your kids can truly get into. Jeff Kinney's Diary of a Wimpy Kid has been one of those series and after 8 books and 4 movies later this family hopes they keep on coming. Even if they have to recast. So let's talk about the cast for a few minutes. Many fans of the franchise expressed anger at the recasting for this film, especially Roderick. And I get it the fans that are now teens grew up with the old cast but I feel like this team did a good job picking up where the old cast left off, kind of.



I had no trouble buying into the kids Greg and Rodrick it was the parents that I had some set back with and mainly with *Gulp* Alicia Silverstone. Look I love her too and she was one big reason for me to watch this time around. Sadly she is a terrible mother or just one I do not believe. Somehow she just did not fit the task like Rachael Harris. Aaaaand well Steve Zahn was funny as all get out but Tom Everett Scott yeah not so much and it is not like he has not played the dad before he did those Air Buddy movies and was fine. My grip would be that they tried way too hard to be the other set of parents that they just never let themselves develop with the new cast. Yet still, this movie works, really I mean it. I might not have shed a tear but in the end I...


Still, think this movie is right in all the right places. It's silly it's heartwarming, its a brother movie and one fine road trip movie. I did learn from my girls that they jumped around using story arch's from a few of the other books (Well they skip 5-8 to get to this one) but once they got passed the book was better phase they sat back and enjoyed this movie as well. The locations were fun throughout the movie, as well as the comic, relief coming from another family on there, own family road trip.  


Look this is a heartwarming family movie that does not deserve the negativity of the new cast. It was fun to sit and watch this as a family not expecting much. I will say this old man is good at predicting the outcome of movies and this one had me guessing wrong and I love that! If you get the chance give the wimp a chance you just might walk away liking the new family like we did. Besides the altercation between Greg and "Beardo" in the shower is a complete spoof of Psycho how could you go wrong?


4 Ninja Santa's out of 5



No comments:

Post a Comment