Lets get cozy and comfortable with Grampa Monster

Grampa's Monster Movies (1990)  
DVD review


We all love Al Lewis most of us enjoy the Munsters tv show and I love Horror host's! So when I stumbled on to a mix of all three I could not help to be over joyed. Lewis hosts an hour long preview tribute show  to classic horror films featuring  the work of Lon Chaney, Jr., Bela Lugosi, Vincent Price, and Boris Karloff.

With  28 classic trailers like Frankenstein, Dracula, the Wolf Man, and the Mummy. Grampa host's these little nuggets from a beach chair (?) in a cemetery. The jokes are corny of course the preview's are before restoration days and the sound well you will have to turn in up.

This is a direct port over from a VHS but it's not 1990 VHS quality. In fact it looks more like a second generation tape recoreded from tv  back in early 80's on a two head VCR.  The Star Wars Christmas special that is floating around the internet almost looks better at times. The host bit's are so washed out its almost hard to watch.

Now this DVD retails around $9.99 but most sites are cleaning this out. I have found it for as little as $2.99. At three buck's I would say do not skip it. This will make for a great party DVD at Halloween time. At 10 bucks rent it once first. If your lucky like me to find it for a quarter well only a fool would skip out on it.

So in the end I wanted to love this DVD but with poor picture and sound it left me feeling a little let down. If you can find this cheep it's worth the grab just for the fact it's Al Lewis and Classic monsters. It will make for a great party DVD in the back round. Despite all that I did enjoy this DVD and I'm giving it 3 bloody brains.

1990 | B&W/Color | 65 Minutes | 1.33.1 Aspect Ratio | Not Rated | Horror | Mono | Passport Video

3 Bloody Brains out of 5



No comments:

Post a Comment