Five Movie Gems from October


I have not done a top five in a while and wanted to break one out today chatting about the five best movies I watched during the Spooky Month of October. Normally I set a plan going into October, and I did only in true 2020 fashion I jumped around and skipped almost the entire list. What was great about that I found some gems!

Halloween at Aunt Ethel’s 2019 Amazon Prime


Everyone in town knows the story of Old Aunt Ethel. It’s said she makes Halloween candy and pumpkin pie out of the kids that trick-or-treat at her house. This Halloween, the neighborhood teens are going to find out the truth. Simply put this fun ride is a very low-budget movie with some heart. The story is fun the cinematography is not too bad. Aunt Ethel is a hoot. Now the acting well slows down the movie just a tad but that should not stop you from checking out this flick. This is right up the alley for teenage boys with plenty of nudity, alcohol, and drugs. The ending was worth the build-up.

3 Bloody Brains out of Five


Don’t F*&k in the Woods 2016  Tubi Tv (FREE)


A group of friends are going on a camping trip to celebrate graduating from college. But once they enter the woods, the proverbial shit starts to hit the fan. Man, this movie left its mark on my brain. In fact, my buddy at work, and I were talking about it again! Yes, it's a very low budget, poorly acted, and has a ton of silly sex. Yet the story is great, the monster is great, and the gore is perfect! It's about as much fun one can have in 73 minutes trapped in a low-budget flick. I love this movie and will watch it again maybe even for next Halloween who knows. Thanks again to COVID the sequel is in limbo and I will watch that one as well. 

3 Bloody Brains out of 5


Mr. Boogedy 1986 Disney+


A novelty-salesman moves his family into a new house. Initially dismissing incidents as more of their father’s practical jokes, the family soon learns that the house is haunted by people who lived in the house 300 years previously. This was a scream! At a fast-paced 44 minutes, you did not want it to end. A brilliant ghost story that was perfect for kids and Halloween. I'm just sad it took me 34 years to discover Mr. Boogedy! If you have Disney+ or plan on getting into the service soon check this one out.

4 Bloody Brains


Never Hike Alone 2017 YouTube


A hiker’s survival skills are put to the test when he stumbles upon the remains of camp crystal lake and discovers its long dark secrets. This fan-made Friday the 13th film is amazing! With plenty of tension suspense and a hard dose of realistic tone helps set Never Hike Alone apart from fan films setting the bar really high. And when the last 15 minutes kick it make sure to breathe once and a while!! Never Walk Alone and its sequel are free on YouTube just Click here.

4 Bloody Brains out of 5


Hubie Halloween 2020 Netflix


Look let's not fight about Hubie ok? For me it just hit different I really laughed hard and had a great time with this special. I would not be surprised if it lands on my top ten movies of the year list. In case you are under a rock Hubie Dubois who, despite his devotion to his hometown of Salem, Massachusetts (and its legendary Halloween celebration), is a figure of mockery for kids and adults alike. But this year, something really is going bump in the night, and it’s up to Hubie to save Halloween. Is Hubie perfect no is it a fun escape from life yes. Currently, on letterboxd, it's averaging at 2 1/2 stars with only 1% of us giving it 4 1/2 stars, and that's ok. not every movie is made for everybody, In fact, who knows I might watch it again next year and hate it. 

4 out of 5




Well that's it I was shocked that my goal was to watch 20 movies for Halloween. When I looked back at a shattering number of 41 movies, shorts, and specials I was pleased with myself. I really have found my love for movies once again. According to Letterboxd, I have logged 143 movies (Goal was 75) by the end of October and November has been no slouch as well. I guess in a way COVID was not a bad thing for me keeping me in our house.

My full list of "Countdown To Halloween 2020" Movies. (Click Here for the full site)



So what are a few good Christmas movies I should be checking out? Let me know in the comments below. 






2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed watching Hubie. it was funny.
    Have you ever seen the movie "Surviving Christmas"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! I love dark comedy so that was right up my alley.

      Delete