The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel 
2017 | Color | 1Hr 8 Eps | Comedy | TV-MA | Amazon

Creator:
Amy Sherman-Palladino

Stars:
Rachel Brosnahan
Alex Borstein
Tony Shalhoub

In 1958 New York, Midge Maisel's life is on track- husband, kids, and elegant Yom Kippur dinners in their Upper West Side apartment. But when her life takes a surprise turn, she has to quickly decide what else she's good at - and going from housewife to stand-up comic is a wild choice for everyone but her. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is written and directed by Amy Sherman-Palladino (Gilmore Girls).


Oh boy, am in trouble here. See I watched the pilot episode earlier this year (I think) and voted for more, the pilot left me begging Amazon to pick this series up. And over on Rotten Tomatoes, it has this whole 95% fresh thing going on. So I would ask them the Tomatoes did you watch all 8 episodes? Because if you did am pretty sure you would not feel the same way, how do I really feel well read on shall you?

Me around episode 4

Man, the first 3 episodes have it all, love, lost love, heart, soul, and the feeling of being lost all tossed into a blender for a nice smooth no aftertaste kind of show. You really start to feel for the characters and want desperately to see more. And with so many laugh out loud moments this show was turning into a real binge watch. But somehow when episode 4 rolls around I find myself in the same rut as the show. It has become more of the same and the jokes are getting lame. And now the binge-watching me has crawled to a stop for the most part. I started watching in November and just finished before the new year if that tells you something.


My biggest complaint has to be the depression that this show slaps around with a cold fish in hopes for a good laugh. And do you know the main charters have kids? Yeah, we all forget too because they are running around all the time day and night! Is this how it was in the 1950's?  My parents worked all the time too but I remember them being around. Did you leave your kids with your parents all the time? I don't know but for me, this was one of the main plot holes that would take me out of the show, kind of like the squirrel scenario, hey look at me doing stand up.... baby in my arms. Wait baby have not see that child in the last 6 episodes. Ugh



Not all is lost tho I really love the feel of downstate New York and its vibe. The colors and clothes the Jazz it all really draws you into the decade giving a warm fuzzing feeling. And the sweet sounds of Sinatra seem to flow through your speakers trapping you nicely into this world. And by far the best part of Mrs. Maisel is not the star of the show and her sparkly outfits but none other than Chicago born Alex Borstein! Her grit would be the one thing that made me stick around until the end and will be the big reason for checking into season two. She is the glue that holds it all together and really knocks it out of the park.


I seriously wanted to love this show but sadly it did not hold together for me, the backstory sucked the life right out of me making the charters lifeless and cold, I just did not like how that felt. The show really does start out great and looks fantastic and that's why I ask to have the writers for the Tomato site really watch all of it? And as for season two, it better find a way for me to stick with it. I am looking forward to Rachel Brosnahan and Alex Borstein taking home so hardware this award season but not much else. Amazon you really need a hit sadly for me this was not it. Thank god for the Tick earlier this year.


2 Smoking Hot Guns overall

2 smoking hot guns for the story

4 smoking hot guns for the look and feel

4 smoking hot guns for Alex Borstein





No comments:

Post a Comment