The ultimate 8-bit road trip.


Nintendo Quest
2015 | Color | 1 hr 31min | 2.39.1 | R | Stereo | Documentry 


Director: 
Robert McCallum

Writers: 
Robert McCallum
Jordan Christopher Morris

Stars: 
Jay Bartlett
Thor Aackerlund
Syd Bolton

In this all-encompassing documentary on Nintendo, gaming enthusiast Jay Bartlett hits the open road with best friend Rob McCallum in hopes of buying the 678 official retail-licensed Nintendo games for the Nintendo Entertainment System (1985) in 30 days with no online purchases. Along the way Jay and Rob will discuss Nintendo history, landmark games, box art, music, graphics, gameplay and more.


Lately, when you come over to the cave you can find the girls and I playing retro video games. And thanks to my oldest daughter my new obsession with YouTube we have started to collect old games. They do love some of the old classics from Sega and SuperNes but struggle with the NES system. Yeah me too those games where hard! Anyway, I ran into this on Hulu and decided to check it out. It is a very slow burn of a documentary and I know most are but I had trouble at times staying focused on their mission and found myself doing housework while this was playing. 


Never the less though it is worth looking into for nostalgia feelings. Maybe I was looking more for a doc that gave more info on the games or gameplay my guess YouTube spoiled this movie for me. Now my wife sat and watched some of this as well and she was getting hooked pretty fast and I agree the middle gives you a much better pace. If your into collecting games or anything for that matter this movie is for you and running at only an hour and a half won't take long to watch. 

In the end, I would have rather seen a little bit more about his anxiety issues and how games have helped him. Or more about the group of buddies and playing the games growing up more so then just driving around to find games.  

Still I give this a solid 3 Bloody Brains.


No comments:

Post a Comment