Tralala Terror! The Banana Splits Movie.

The Banana Splits Movie

2019 | R | 1 Hr 29 Min | Horror | Warner Brothers


Director: Danishka Esterhazy

Writers: Jed Elinoff, Scott Thomas

Stars: Dani Kind, Steve Lund, Celina Martin


Synopsis: A boy named Harley and his family (brother Austin, mother Beth, and step-father Mitch) attends a taping of The Banana Splits TV show, which is supposed to be a fun-filled birthday for young Harley and business as usual for Rebecca, the producer of the series. But things take an unexpected turn -- and the body count quickly rises. Can Harley, his mom, and their new pals safely escape?


WWWWWWHAT a show from my childhood is coming back! So freaking cool or at least I had hoped so. I have to give Warner Brothers credit for going way outside of the box buy taking a kid's franchise from the 70s and giving them a dark side. And it works well I mean they were creepy when I was a young lad. I was just there for the Adam Ant cartoons. So give these guys a chance to go rogue and see what happens. 



Let's clear something up first this movie is really flat for the first forty-five minutes to an hour. My reasoning for this comes down to the dull and stiff cast. This family is so depressing you just never get attached so when the shit finally hits the fan you're not invested. Part of what makes horror fun is your invested in the cast and your pulling for them. In this one you can't wait for them to die - that sounds so bad but it's true.


Once the carnage begins it never slows down allowing the last thirty minutes to be brutally fun. Some kills where cleaver and based on the show where others well they are fine but the whole time we had no tension to build upon thanks to those lame families.  
 


For what its worth Banana Splits is a fun romp that is worth the look, last year this played on SyFy every day during the Halloween season so I'm sure they will bring it back this year. It's a good idea just takes time to develop. 


3 Bloody Brains out of 5



1 comment:

  1. The Banana Splits were creepy when we were kids. I never quite got it - I mean the theme song was great but the rest of the sketches just left me baffled. Like you I only watched for the other cartoons like Secret Squirrel.

    ReplyDelete