The Day The Music Died

Who wheres Short Shorts?



In 1958 a catchy little tune by "Short Shorts" enters the top 40 Chart and would peak at #3. Now tell me this song does not bring a smile to your face?

The Day The Music Died




My mom always talked about how the trio had been scheduled to play at Spring Valley’s Les-Buzz Ballroom as part of the “Winter Dance Party” on Feb. 7, 1959. Sadly they never made it, as four days earlier, an airplane carrying the three men crashed shortly after take-off in Clear Lake, Iowa, killing all three. This would become one of the saddest days in music history. My mom once told me she sat in her room crying for days even missing school. I still have a few of her Buddy Holly 45's.




The Big Bopper (Jiles Perry Richardson) was only 28, Holly was 22 and Valens was 17! A sad day indeed.



My personal favorite Ritchie Valens song, such great music taken from us way to early. I would have loved to have grown up during this era of music and I'm grateful that my parents always had records playing when we were growing up. The sweet sounds of the 50s and 60s filled our house and it was pure magic.

Touring the site.


My favorite YouTuber Adam The Woo has a nice video where he visits the sites and museums surrounding the events that took place. 

1 comment:

  1. A lot of talent died that day. We'll never know the heights they could have reached.

    ReplyDelete