40 Years Later, Evil Returns Home


Halloween
2018 | R | 1 Hr 46 Min | Horror | Blumhouse

Director: David Gordon Green
Writers: Jeff Fradley and David Gordon Green

Stars: 
Jamie Lee Curtis
Judy Greer
Andi Matichak 
Nick Castle



Synopsis:
Jamie Lee Curtis returns to her iconic role as Laurie Strode, who comes to her final confrontation with Michael Myers (Nick Castle and James Jude Courtney), the masked figure who has haunted her since she narrowly escaped his killing spree on Halloween night four decades ago.




Well, I did it check one off the bucket list finally. Halloween is by far my favorite franchise and Michial Myer is one of the top 3 killers of all time. So why did I miss this last year in the theatre its simple, I wanted to forget about all the hype and what everybody said about the new flick. What I ended up, in the end, was a mixed bag of emotions. so where do I begin? How about the bad first...


This one is going to get me some hate but here it goes, Jamie Lee Curtis. Yep, I said it her storyline was just bad! I wanted her to be the strong woman they wanted her to be but instead, she came off as a nut job. Did she really have to live in a dump with panic rooms and booby traps? I wanted her just to be a badass bitch that lived a normal life but yet trained on the back half to kill Michael is that too much to ask? Her storyline changed the face of the franchise and honestly, I'm not happy with that. Second, this now takes away from my favorite movie in the series Halloween 2 which no longer exists in the timeline, ugh! This really pisses me off sorry. On to the good...


When Michael is on the screen this movie is at its strongest. The imagery that they used to block him in was perfect. In fact, the gas station scene was so intense despite the fact we saw all of it in the trailer. It was incredibly powerful and *Spoiler* when he drove up in the pickup truck I squealed with joy like a little kid once again. I'm 50/50 on the mask tho just not feeling the worn outlook I get that it had to age over time but it was looking dangerously close to Rob Zombie's mask, and that took me out of the moment a few times. But Halloween was not a total loss on to the Great!


Andi Matichak is a true find and one of the brights lights in Halloween! She came off as a badass leading the way, unlike her grandmother. (From IMBD) The role of Allyson, Laurie's granddaughter, became somewhat of a coveted role. Multiple popular actresses including Lucy Hale and Emma Roberts met with Danny McBride to personally talk about the movie. However, the studio decided that they wanted to go back to the roots of the first movie and cast an unknown actress, similar to how Jamie Lee Curtis was cast in the original. The music is also a very strong piece of driving this movie. The music is composed by John Carpenter, his son Cody and his godson Daniel Davies. The trio had previously collaborated on John Carpenter's Lost Themes and Lost Themes II albums.


The Gore or Death senses are downright amazing! A true throwback to the 80's slasher flicks. Sure the first one was truly scary and not gory but this one brings the blood and in a good way. So, in the end, did I like Halloween and simply put YES did it blow me away and become one of the greats well, No! The good outweighed the bad leaving me wanting those sequels provided Lori becomes a normal badass. 


3 Bloody Brains out of 5


Are you having fun with the Countdown to Halloween yet? If so make sure to subscribe to this blog so you can follow along with my randomness all year! Also with the weekend here make sure you check out the other bloggers over at The Countdown To Halloween

Leave a comment below it lets me know you are out there.

4 comments:

  1. The Halloween series is my least favorite of the Big 3 and that's probably why I enjoyed this as much as I did. It was a great throwback to the good ol days of the 80s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was done very well too not thrown in your face like most that try and capture that late 70s early 80s vibe.

      Delete
  2. I loved this film, and with so many twists and turns in the continuity, it didn't bother me that this was another divergent timeline. I thought Curtis was great as a Laurie who was just stuck and traumatized by that horrible night so long ago. And her preparation to make sure it didn't happen again, to her or her daughter and granddaughter, at least. Michael was back to being just a wandering killer. Just was a win, for me. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure why I'm so hung up on that character Curtis herself was fantastic tho. I bet I watch this movie down the road and will love it more.

      Delete