He's a vampire who hasn't scored in 400 years. Tonight's the night!


Rockula
1990 | Color | 1 Hr 27 Min | Musical | PG-13 | Cannon

Director:
Luca Bercovici

Writers:
Luca Bercovici
Jeffery Levy

Stars: 
Dean Cameron
Toni Basil
Thomas Dolby 

Rockula is a male vampire who lost his lady love centuries ago. She was killed by a pirate with a rhinestone peg leg, wielding a large ham bone. Our hero, the vampire, did nothing to save her. So he is now cursed to watch her be born again in another life, and then watch her die, strangely enough by a pirate with a rhinestone peg leg, wielding you-know-what. Now, in 1990, he has, he suspects, his last chance to try to save her instead of watching get clubbed over and over again down through the years. Oh, and he becomes a rock star in the process.


Why yes this is a rock Musical love story about Vampires and it well Rocks!

Here's Ralphy



Luca Bercovici followed up his highly regarded first movie Ghoulies with this fun little rock movie. Bercovici also wrote all of the Ghoulies squeals including one of my favorites Ghoulies Go to College which I reviewed here.  And I'm pretty sure he made a good jab at Ghoulies writer and producer Charles Band with the name clear as day BAND shows up on a headstone in one of the cemetery scenes. No bad blood there huh? 

Ok, who are these guys? Please help!!

That's OK tho as he paints a well-rounded Vampire love story right before our eyes and ears! With writer Jeffery Levy this duo would also go on to write and direct S.F.W. and Drive from the early 90's that took home plenty of independent awards. Sadly after working on such TV shows like Las Vegas and Ghost Whisper Levy has not been heard from since. 

Tawny Fere
O.M.G. So Hot!


Ah, the beautiful face behind the 1989 Richard Marx hit "Angelia" (Man I loved that video) Tawny Fere bring's her wonder looks to Rockula the center of our attention. Sadly after this movie, she really never did much other than the silly but fun Richy Rich Christmas Special from 1998. And it is really too bad she really lights up the screen with her soft small town girl looks. I know if I was a vampire and had the chance to live out my life for the next 1,000 some years I would be jumping to the head of the line. She really knocks out her part really drawing us into her world.

Yeah, that rocks!

Of course, our lead Vampire is played by Dean Cameron who if you do not remember him it is easy he was one of the slackers in Summer School with Marc Harmon. And he also went on to star in Ski School he also played Jeff Spicoli in the Fast Times TV show that I do not remember at all. Cameron plays up the Nerd turned Stud very well and you find yourself cheering for him all the way. Here is a fun fact Cameron grew up in a small town just an hour west of LaSalle so maybe someday I will bump into him and say, dude, what was is like kissing Tawny Fere? 

Toni Basil
Oh, Micky your so Fiiiiiiine!

And let's not forget about all the great cameos and background players that round out the cast! Bo Diddley was wonderful as was Thomas Dolby! But let me tell you, Toni Basil, still look's fantastic and boy she can dance! Playing our heroine's mother she add's so much to the film including some comic relief at times. And she belts out one of the best songs "The Night" I swear I needed a cold shower when she was done. We also get a ridiculous amount of back round players and one or two that I can not confirm but did Basil dance with Ozone from the other Cannon musical classic Breakin'? I could swear that was him and the lack of information on the net for this movie is frustrating. 

Tawny Fere
I love her outfit! 

I'm not going to lie if your not a product of the 80's or have not clue what it was like to watch Cheesy movies, have big hair, or remember when MTV played music 24 hours a day chances are you will not feel the heart and soal of Rockula. If you remember the 80's but do not remember this flick you really own it to yourself to check it out. The silly bubble gum pop songs hit all the right notes, the costumes scream late 80's and the simple love story was all we ever needed back then. 

Thomas Dolby
AH! She Blinded Me With Science 

I'm not sure why this Rock Musical does not get much love, but it sure does deserve it. Sure it was a Cannon Film and I'm sure people would see that and run from it. Cannon may have been famous for its silly no plot big explosion style movies but they do one thing, entertain you. No doubt in my mind Rockula makes for a great date night movie and a much needed silly Vampire love story. You will not hear me say it to much but this is a must see just to say "Hey I remember that movie it was a lot of fun" I could not have picked a better movie for this years Vampire's Day Soiree! The movie is not easy to find as MGM keeps in locked up from us and shame on them but thanks to Amazon Prime you can stream it for free or rent it. They also seem to be the only current way to catch it. 


Rockula I give you my heart all....


...4 Bloody Hearts out of 5!!



A great big thank you to Holly's Horrorland for hosting the 6th annual Vampires Day Soiree this year year. Make sure to head over to her site to read what the other bloggers have in store for you blood sucking feens. CLICK HERE!

16 comments:

  1. So, Rockula hasn't had a girlfriend in 400 years? And I thought I had it bad! The movie plot sounds great. I'll have to see if Netflix has it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even read much past the summary. You had me at Rockula, I need to track this down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds an entertaining blast of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Mickey!!!!! That was awesome thank you for dragging me back to the 80's lol XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of this one...
    a Happy Vampire Day to you and yours...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The murder weapon alone has me rolling. I must watch it. This is two for two, it seems that every time I stop by your cyber-home, I end you watching the movie you are reviewing. Thank you.

    Now, I better got ready my hair for what's to come. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay... I have NEVER heard of this, but trust me, I am intrigued!! You had me at the rhinestone peg leg and the ham bone!! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of this. It does have my attentions it sounds so bad it's gotta be amazing. I love it she gets wracked by a pirate with a peg leg. This is going to have me in stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds right up my alley...campy 80's rock-horror musical? Bring it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rockula does indeed Rock! So does your review! Thanks for attending the Soiree again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. In case anyone is looking for this, it's on YouTube (https://youtu.be/SFtSwqTUshU) and Amazon Prime right now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent exposé. Please consider joining our Fans of Rockula FB group. Most of the cast and crew pop in regularly. We are making a supreme effort to bring this cult classic to DVD and Blu-ray. Thanks for sharing the great review! https://www.facebook.com/groups/433376843686637/

    ReplyDelete
  13. By the way, that wasn't Adolfo "Shabba-Doo" Quiñones (the guy who played Ozone and, along with Toni Basil and Fred "Rerun" Berry, was one of the original Lockers dance troupe) in the dance scene you mentioned. It was a wannabe named Wayne "Crescendo" Ward who is probably most famous for his dance-off scene against Damon Wayans in "Earth Girls Are Easy". Honest mistake - one of the Visiting Kids girls who visited our Rockula FB fan page thought the same thing. I actually asked Shabba-Doo (who is also on FB) if it was him, and we became friends and I am now co-writing his autobiography, so in a way I have Rockula to thank for a big break in my writing career. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I will have to check out your Facebook page!

      Delete
    2. It has been officially been announced that they are releasing Rockula on Blueray

      Delete