Put Your Hands Up! #TBT


I know I know 40 years ago today Star Wars came out but how many of you remember 31 years ago today when we all went outside for 15 minutes and held hands creating a human chain across America? Wait what you do not remember Hands Across America??




Hands Across America was a national event that benefited the USA for hunger and local homeless charities. At 3 PM Eastern time on May 25, 1986—30 years ago today—6.5 million people held hands in a (sort of) continuous line from coast to coast.




An estimated 7 million Americans participated in “Hands Across America” to raise money for the nation’s hungry and homeless at $10 bucks a pop just to say you were part of History. Thanks to my grandma I was part of that history! We closed down a major highway in town to join hands but I also remember how it was not one long line. I mean come on we live in the middle of farm country that is a lot of open roads.


Yet somehow we did make history it has been reported that the longest unbroken section of the chain was allegedly in Illinois! Even thou that was more down south we will take!

In order to allow the maximum number of people to participate, the path linked major cities and meandered back and forth within the cities. Just as there were sections where the "line" was six to ten people deep, there were also undoubtedly many breaks in the chain. However, enough people participated that if an average of all the participants had been taken and spread evenly along the route standing four feet (1.2 m) apart, an unbroken chain across the 48 contiguous states would have been able to be formed.

Hands Across America raised $34 million. According to the New York Times, only about $15 million was distributed after deducting operating costs.
From Wiki Pedia



So who remembers doing this? Did you do it? Let me know in the comments below now if you will please excuse me I need to go watch Star Wars.

1 comment:

  1. I remember Hands Across America! I didn't participate though because I live in Canada, still I thought it was a very clever and worthy event. And I remember when Star Wars came out too, of course. I'm old.

    ReplyDelete