Answer the call

Ghostbusters
2016 | Color | 1 Hr 56 Min | Comedy | PG-13 | Columbia Pictures


Director: 
Paul Feig

Writers: 
Katie Dippold
Paul Feig

Stars: 
Melissa McCarthy
Kristen Wiig
Kate McKinnon

Following a ghost invasion of Manhattan, paranormal enthusiasts Erin Gilbert and Abby Yates, nuclear engineer Jillian Holtzmann, and subway worker Patty Tolan band together to stop the otherworldly threat.






We ended 2016 with a bang! For the most part we as a family (a rare chance for all of us to set down together and not have to work) watch a movie on New Years Eve. We try to pick one that we all wanted to watch earlier in the year and never had a chance. Ghostbusters was met with some mixed reviews through out the house, for me well...


I loved this movie! Why did it receive so much hate? This was a fun stand alone movie that was based on the beloved Ghostbusters I grew up on. I laughed, I sat up in my seat with anticipation, and I did shake my head wondering why they did that. But in the end, I was in a great mood the rest of the night. Now it is not perfect but it is entertaining without a doubt and isn't that what we want in a movie?


I'm not much of a fan of Melissa McCarthy or Kristen Wiig but both of them were fantastic together playing off of each other like they were besties. But Leslie Jones was by far my favorite of the bunch. She to me knocked it out of the park! The fact that she was trolled on Twitter for this movie is a disgrace she was wonderful. Now the only character that was off to me had to be the one played by Kate McKinnon, I felt at times she tried way too hard coming off a little rough and rushed. And all the cameo's where very well placed through out the movie as well, including the bust for Harold Ramis in the hallway out side of Erin's office at the school. 


The special effects were both out of this world and just plain silly. The first ghost we see (pictured above) was down right breath taking. But the ghost at the end that they had to fight was downright silly and not really in a good way. I also enjoyed how they moved the story along showing off new gadgets that will help aid them in their quest. Some of the new tools were super cool.


I will mention really quick the soundtrack and how it blended in very well driving the movie home. Now I did not really care for the end battle it was so far fetched that my wife and I kind of laughed it off. But then I realized my 8-year-old thought it was soooo cool. Which makes me think about all those haters out there did you watch this with an open mind? Did you ever think that the generation of today just might really dig this version of the movie? I know my kid did she could not stop talking about how cool and fun this movie was. In fact, she woke up today still singing the song and talking about how much fun that was and when could she watch it again. Now that is a movie that grabbed onto somebody just like the first one did to me, You just can not replace that magic in a child.


And shame on you if you complained about the all female cast! That hate in the world really needs to stop! People let their emotions get in the way of seeing this movie and will still not watch it for dumb reasons. My wife thought it was just ok and found herself laughing as well but did not care for the end battle at all. I know this review is all over the place but that is because I just do not know how to contain my excitement for the movie! I just plain loved it sure it has its up's and down's but it is still worth watching!  

For me...

4 Ninja Santa's out of 5


For my youngest...

5 Ninja Santa's out of 5


And that is better than her score for Finding Dory.


1 comment:

  1. You're absolutely right -- Ghostbusters is all about the magic it creates for kids to enjoy. Now both boys AND girls have Ghostbuster heroes to emulate! And that is only as it should be. Shame on all the haters!

    We liked this movie too. Personally I enjoyed Kate McKinnon's butchy vibe and I loved Chris Hemsworth as the dim-witted Kevin.

    ReplyDelete