Surviving them is hell. And that is not a lie!

Holidays
2016 | Color | 1 Hr 45 Min | Horror | R | XYZ Films

Directors: 
Anthony Scott Burns
Kevin Kolsch

Writers: 
Anthony Scott Burns
Kevin Kolsch

Stars: 
Clare Grant
Lorenza Izzo
Harley Quinn Smith

HOLIDAYS is an anthology feature film that puts a uniquely dark and original spin on some of the most iconic and beloved holidays of all time. The film challenges our folklore, traditions, and assumptions, making HOLIDAYS a celebration of the horror on those same special days' year after year. A collaboration of some of Hollywood's most distinct voices, the directors include Kevin Smith (Tusk), Gary Shore (Dracula Untold), Scott Stewart (Dark Skies), Kevin Kolsch and Dennis Widmyer (Starry Eyes), Sarah Adina Smith (The Midnight Swim), Nicholas McCarthy (The Pact), Adam Egypt Mortimer (Some Kind of Hate), and Anthony Scott Burns (Darknet). Source IMBD

I understand anthology films have been around forever and at times we have been blessed with some hits and of course some misses. When you get 8 directors to take on a Holiday each you are destined to get a mixed bag! And Holidays, well....

... you definitely get a mixed bag! Let's start slow so I don't come off as a hater. The movie opens with Valentines Day and St. Patricks Day. These two segments were so uninspired and way out there to the point of me wanting to turn it off. I kept asking myself is it worth it? I was so bored and growing impatient by the time Easter rolled around. And things were not getting too much better I will say about Easter the effects were very well done for the bunny and creepy as all get out. And for the first time in a long time, a jump scare worked on me. So now I'm feeling a little better about this.



But then came another bad short. Bad in the terms of the ending Mothers Day was very well filmed and the story grabs you but flushes  all those good feelings down the toilet in 5 seconds at the end!! Ok I'm not going to harp on this let's talk Fathers Day, shall we. This segment was nice and dark with a bizarre twist that works on all levels. I really felt sucked into this ten-minute world sitting up in my chair wondering what the hell could happen next! This segment could stand on its own and Anthony Scott Burns should and will get better opportunities from this short. It was so beautiful visually and had a nice use of a walkman and those orange fuzzy headphones.  If anything you owe it to yourself to watch this segment.


Kevin Smith brings his daughter back to the screen in the Halloween segment that was entertaining but falls a little short. All in all, tho he did a good job and his daughter is not bad but I scratch my head at her being a lead in his new movie out this august she is by no means a leading lady but time will tell. I really had high hopes for Christmas but it falls so flat on its face and by this time I was so disgusted by this movie. Two minutes into New Year's Eve I could not take it anymore and shut it off! Yep, I did not finish Holidays came within 7 minutes and maybe I will finish it someday but it will not change my mind. This movie sucked! There I said it skip this crap, it's a shame because Fathers Day is worth watching. 

I wonder am I getting too old for movies? Am I asking the way too much to be entertained? I love low budget movies so I have a low threshold for crap. I do know but this one bummed me out so it is lucky to get...

2 Bloody Brains
Good lord, I rather watch Trump and Clinton debate for 24 hours.

4 comments:

  1. Your not getting too old - just more discriminating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your right all the older movies I watch lately have been way more fun to sit through. Movies of today lack any substance.

      Delete
  2. I loved Father's Day but got lost on the what happened at the end which is a shame because it was by far the best entry.
    Halloween...could have been set on any other day of the year sadly.
    New Year's was one of the ones I'd put near the top of these shorts but I can see where you might have had enough by that point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will finish New Years then. I feel the end of Fathers day really left it open for a stand alone movie.

      Delete