Take a Hedgehog home for the Holidays!


Sonic Christmas Blast
1996 | Color | 30 min | 1.33 | G | Stereo | Holiday | DIC Entertainment


Director:
Blair Peters

Writers: 
Reed Shelly
Bruce Shelly

Stars: 
Jaleel White
Long John Baldry
Philip Maurice Hayes

Sonic the Hedgehog must stop the evil Dr. Robotnik from ruining Christmas after Santa Clause disappears

In the early 90's you where either a Sonic fan or a Mario fan for some you could not be both. So for me, I took the high road and "Ran" with Sonic. I was unaware of this Christmas Speical until earlier this month when it popped up on ConTv. Being a fan of cartoons based on games and enjoying Sonic back in the day I was more than eager to check this out.


The plot is pretty thin and typical of this type of cartoon, the evil enemy takes over Santa and his North Pole kids upset about Christmas being ruined forever and, of course, our little blue friend is here to save the day.  Not bad in a 30-minute show if you ask me. Now the big story here is Jaleel White plays the voice of Sonic. This was all before his famed line "Did I do that?" in true Urkel style. Looks like he did other voice work before Family Matters but not much after that. Did you know he is still pretty active in Hollywood? Really he as done movies like Dreamgirls, TV like CSI and, of course, Judy Moody and the not Bummer Summer.  I honestly thought he went away and just did those cheap SyFi movies like Mega Shark vs Crocosaurus! In all, he does a great Sonic The Hedgehog.



The animation is not that bad, and rather enjoyable. The use of different colors makes this pretty fun looking. But that is really about it not much going for it at all. Now if you are a fan of video games and cartoons based on them you will find yourself enjoying Sonic Christmas Blast. For the casual friend just looking to watch a holiday spirited Christmas special, this is not for you. 


This was made to cash in on little children playing the video game. There is no Christmas spirit in this show at all! Sure you get plenty of Santa or the Image of Santa almost from the beginning to the end but the story lacks any heart! Ugh, I do not want to hate a Christmas special and I really don't want to hate Sonic when he was my go-to guy over the fat plumber. Oh and that plumber's Christmas special will be reviewed very soon so maybe I will not hate myself as much. But....


I will never watch this again. I feel stupid for watching in it in the first place. And before you get all huffy I'm really not that old maybe in 1996 when this was out I was a little too old for this show, but I was still watching Ren and Stimpy that was fun!


It's a bummer for Sonic Christmas Blast,

2 Samurai Santa's

5 comments:

  1. I'm afraid that Sonic and Mario are equally mysterious to me. I've never played a video game in my life except for Ms PacMan in a bar once a million years ago, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there is an old Pac-Man Christmas episode featuring Ms. Pac-man. "Christmas Comes To Pac-Land." :D

      Delete
    2. Ha I like that Pac Man cartoon and watch it every other year or so!

      Delete
  2. I was always for both the plumber and the blue hedgehog, but most of all I was a fan of that crazy Earthworm Jim! The "What The Heck?" level with Rusty The Snowman level, classic! The SEGA Genesis version really was a little better than the SNES version.

    And don't feel stupid about watching this, I watched Beethoven's Christmas Adventure (SPOILERS: Beethoven speaks for the first time through the power of Christmas elf magics!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I wanted to let you know that the 2015 Horror Reading Challenge wrap up and giveaway has been posted! Check it out here!

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete