He had but one body - yet lived with two souls!


The Curse of the Werewolf
1961 | Color | 91 Minutes | 1.37:1 | NA | Horror | Hammer

Director: Terence Fisher

Writers: Guy Endore

Stars: 
Oliver Reed
Clifford Evans
Yvonne Romain
Richard Wordsworth
Anthony Dawson
Catherine Feller

In Spain, Leon is born on Christmas day to a mute servant girl who was raped by a beggar. His mother dies giving birth and he is looked after by Don Alfredo. As a child Leon becomes a werewolf after having been taken hunting. As a young man, he works in a wine cellar and falls in love with the owner's daughter Cristina. One full moon, he again turns into a werewolf and terrifies the town.

I'm not big on Hammer films but I did watch this one the fist time around on Svengoolie. With all the hype about it being on of the best werewolf movies I felt the needed to check it out. And I must say I was pleasantly surprised. The back story was very well done. Oliver Reed played the part exceptionally well. His acting in the movie almost begs for me to watch more Hammer Horror Films.  The makeup in this film  was based on Jack P. Pierce's work on Lon Chaney's The Wolf Man. And I will agree it is one of the better looking Wolf Men we see on the big screen. 

So if you have not seen this one yet and your a fan of Lon Chaney's Wolf Man tune in tonight and you be the judge on witch one is better.

For me I give Curse of the Werewolf  3 bloody brains.



Oliver Reed
Lon Chaney 



No comments:

Post a Comment